From Isaac of Stella

"So, brother, make for yourself a hidden place within yourself, in which you can flee away from yourself and pray in secret to the Father." Isaac of Stella

Passing From Self to God: A Cistercian Retreat, Robert Thomas, OCSO Cistercian Press, 2006, p. 4



Monday, March 14, 2011

Who is the man that desireth life: who loveth to see good days?

"Midway upon the journey of our life
  I found myself within a forest dark,
  For the straightforward pathway had been lost."

Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy, Canto I

I have recently returned from a 4 year detour via skepticism from the straight path of the Catholic faith.  That story is not so very interesting and this blog will more be for thinking through the life of union with God, for we are all called to be saints and to know the death of the self, of egoism, and instead know the delight of the oneness of God.  I owe much to the Greeks- to the Stoics and Peripatetics and NeoPlatonists, to Spinoza and Schopenhauer, to the Carmelites, Cistercians, and especially John of the Cross for showing me the way of wisdom, renunciation, and finally unity with the Logos, with Christ, with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment